Monday, May 30, 2011

Remembering Our Heros

 Its Memorial Day 2011 and as I sit down to write this, my mind is blank. I wish I were a better man and would be in Iraq or perhaps Afghanistan fighting for our country. But I'm a guy that only feels strong when Im in the comfort of my own home.  All that just makes me more thankful for those who do have the courage to serve.
A couple of weeks ago I received an email from a marine, in it he told me that some times it gets hard but he would never trade it for the world. Knowing that he is defending the country he loves is all he ever needs.
That got me thinking. Those are our soldiers. Yet aside from Memorial Day weekend we never seem to find it important enough to thank them. Than there are those that go as far as to insult them. But they just keep quite and continue to fight the wars we wish to imagine don't exist. Memorial Day comes for us once a year but for them its reality. They live and breathe war every day. Weather its in the trenches in Iraq or in the mountains of Afghanistan  Their there and they don't run away.
My "Memorial Day resolution" is to every morning for the next year to say a silent thanks to our soldiers. Be a man and do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment